Date Posted: May 08, 2023
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
Start Date: between July and September 2023 (to be discussed)
Salary: Offering a comprehensive compensation package in accordance with the Machinerie’s salary scale (to be presented to shortlisted candidates)
Employee Benefits: Benefits to be presented to shortlisted candidates
Organization’s Field/Discipline: The Arts
Job’s focus: Administrative
Contract Type: Full-time – 35 h/week – hybrid
Career Level: Upper management
As a service organization, the Machinerie shares resources, tools and expertise using a diversified, customized and inclusive approach. Through its community, the Machinerie strengthens and showcases artistic and cultural aspirations!
Why become the Executive Director of the Machinerie ?
Working at the Machinerie is:
→ acting at the heart of a diverse community of over 2400 performing arts practitioners, networking with professionals from all backgrounds and experiences, from all different disciplines, and differing career levels;
→ building a new strategic planning cycle that meets the needs of the community, cultivating and highlighting the relevancy of service organizations;
→ leading a team that is passionate about arts management, contributing to the professional development of employees through a caring management style;
→ operating a personalized and customized service organization offering consulting, individual and collaborative coaching, training activities and more;
→ undertaking projects that pool resources in order to strengthen and promote the artistic and cultural aspirations of creators in Montréal and Québec;
→ acting as a leader in the cultural sector by engaging in reflections on management practices in order to foster change (decolonization of practices, inclusiveness, eco-responsibility, responsible and ethical management).
The role of Executive Director includes the following responsibilities:
- Strategic development and governance in conjunction with the Board of Directors;
- Maintaining communication with stakeholders and funders, fundraising;
- Human resources – managing a team (6-8 employees, self-employed and freelancers), ensuring an ongoing dialogue with the Machinerie’s pool of over 175 resource persons, and providing overall leadership to promote a positive work environment;
- Administration and accounting (budget management, bookkeeping, preparation of financial statements with an external accounting firm, fulfilling legal obligations);
- Operationalization of services and pedagogical activities in collaboration with the team;
- Development of partnerships with peer organizations, creation of new initiatives, and improving upon existing resources and tools;
- Public representation, and development of communication strategies.
- Studies in arts management (DESS or bachelor’s degree) and/or at least 10 years of experience in arts management;
- Commitment to the values of equity, justice, inclusion and accessibility;
- Experience in accompanying artists, an asset;
- Ability to work in a bilingual context;
- Good digital literacy (proficiency with Google Suite, collaborative tools and AirTable).
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to the selection committee by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Wednesday, May 31, 2023. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- The Machinerie guarantees the utmost confidentiality of the applications received for both those who are currently employed and those who are actively seeking employment.
- The Machinerie is open to receiving applications for a co-directorship that manifests the compatibility and complementarity of the two profiles within the limits of available financial resources.
- The Machinerie recognizes that experience and knowledge can be acquired through academic training, through work experience, or through a mixed path that includes both. Therefore, the Machinerie will evaluate candidates with atypical backgrounds, both self-taught profiles and graduates of academic institutions.
- The Machinerie will apply the principle of complementarity to guide its recruitment choices in relation to the strengths of the team already in place and the needs of the organization.
For all questions please contact email@example.com. The Machinerie is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce. Should you require accommodation at any time during this process, please advise the Machinerie.